Supawat is a partner of R&T Asia (Thailand) Limited. Supawat focuses his practice on regulatory compliance, administrative law, dispute resolution, anti-bribery, competition law, labor law issues, mergers and acquisitions, customs regulation, telecommunications, project development, and international trade laws.
Prior to joining R&T Asia (Thailand) Limited, Supawat spent more than fourteen years working for leading American and Australian based international law firms in Thailand. Supawat regularly advises foreign and Thai multinational clients with regulatory compliance in their business operations.
His experience includes:
Regulatory & Investigations
- Advising a European telecommunications company on a foreign ownership investigation by the Ministry of Commerce and Economic Crime Division.
- Advising a European telecommunications company on its shareholdings in a Thai mobile telecommunications company, including concession and 3G-related issues.
- Advising the U.S. shareholder of a life insurance company on its compliance with foreign ownership restrictions applicable to life insurance companies.
- Advising a leading tobacco manufacturer on Thai regulatory matters involving tobacco products, specifically packaging, labeling and advertising restrictions and issues relating to disclosure of ingredients.
- Advising a NYSE listed alcoholic beverages company during their FCPA investigation by the U.S. SEC, as well as its internal investigation.
- Advising a U.S. heavy vehicle manufacturer on an issue regarding compliance with anti-corruption laws.
- Ongoing representation of a multinational manufacturer in its VAT-related dispute with Thai government authorities such as the Department of Special Investigations.
- Advising various European manufacturers on reporting obligations under new National Anti-Corruption Commission regulations.
Customs & Trade Law
- Advising a Japanese pharmaceutical company on its importation and licensing of pharmaceutical products.
- Representing a Japanese steel company in respect of a potential safeguard measure in Thailand.
- Representing a leading tobacco importer in its successful appeal to the Thai Board of Appeal against an uplift of their declared customs values on imports from the Philippines.
- Representing a leading tobacco importer in its settlement of a customs valuation dispute with Thai Customs.
- Representing a leading tobacco importer in its customs valuation dispute with the Department of Special Investigations.
- Advising the Government of the Philippines in its WTO Panel dispute against Thailand in respect of imports of cigarettes from the Philippines.
- Advising a NYSE listed alcoholic beverages company on customs valuation disputes, as well as its settlement of a dispute with Thai Customs.
- Advising a NYSE listed alcoholic beverages company on its use of AFTA preferential rates.
- Advising a Japanese automotive exporter on a potential tariff classification dispute involving its subsidiary in Thailand.
- Advising a Japanese importer of vehicles and automotive parts on its use of JTEPA.
Administrative & Environmental Cases
- Represented a number of companies located in the Map Ta Phut area in connection with the administrative lawsuit regarding environmental and health matters.
- Represented a petroleum exploration and production company on a license issue.
- Acted as legal counsel to a petroleum exploration and production company in connection with its administrative lawsuit regarding the environmental and health matters.
- Represented a major U.S. tobacco company in respect of administrative proceedings against various government authorities.
- Advised a Thai listed company on potential administrative proceedings against the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission.
- Represented a major U.S. tobacco company in respect of competition law matters in Thailand, including employee training.
- Represented a Japanese consumer goods company in providing competition law training to their employees.
- Represented a major European spirits company regarding competition law issues relevant to the distribution of its products in Thailand.
- Ongoing advice to the largest Norwegian telecommunications company in relation to competition law relevant to telecommunications businesses in Thailand.
- Represented various local and multinational companies on anti-competition law matters in Thailand, in particular merger controls and market dominance.
- Advising a European telecommunications company on its acquisition of stakes in a Thai listed mobile telecommunications company.
- Advising a Singaporean holding company on its acquisition of stakes in a Thai listed mobile telecommunications company.
- Advising a European cement company on the divestment of its business in Thailand.
- Advising a U.S. life insurance company on the divestment of its business in Thailand.
- Advising a U.S. heavy vehicle manufacturer in its acquisition of a wholly-owned manufacturing business.
Memberships / Directorships
- Extraordinary Member, Thai Bar Association, 2003 - present
- The Federation of Thai Industries, 2007 - present
- The Thai Chamber of Commerce, 2007 - present
- Lawyers Council of Thailand, 2008 – present