Nuttaphol is a Partner and Head of the Intellectual Property (IP) practice of R&T Asia (Thailand) Limited.
Nuttaphol Arammuang is highly regarded as one of Thailand’s leading Intellectual Property lawyers with over 20 years of experience exclusively in IP. He is also ranked by leading legal publications such as Chambers Asia Pacific, The Legal 500, and World Trademark Review, and is recognized as an “2022 IP Expert” by Asia IP, for his all-encompassing expertise in IP. Before joining Rajah & Tann, he was the Managing Partner of a full-serviced law firm in Thailand.
Nuttaphol has substantial expertise in IP litigation, including in pharmaceutical patent litigation; patent infringement; design, trademark and trade dress infringement; passing off; trade mark invalidation; copyright litigation relating to new media and technology; and obtaining preliminary injunctions and Anton Piller orders. He also has experience in advising clients on licensing and franchising; IP portfolio management; trade secret management; and data protection issues.
Nuttaphol is a special lecturer in various universities, including Thammasat University, Prince of Songkhla University and Mahidol University. He also serves as Thailand’s representative in the Emerging Rights Standing Committee of the Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA).
His experience includes:
- Advising and representing one of the largest telecom companies in Thailand in a copyright lawsuit before the Central Intellectual Property and International Trade Court.
- Advising and representing a leading e-commerce and online market platform in Thailand in a trademark infringement lawsuit before the Central Intellectual Property and International Trade Court.
- Advising a listed company engaging in a dental business to defend against a trade secret dispute filed by one of their competitors in the Central Intellectual Property and International Trade Court.
- Advising and representing a Thai cosmetic company to secure their trademark rights from a better right trademark cancellation action filed before the Central Intellectual Property and International Trade Court by a well-known Japanese based dairy products company.
- Advising and representing a British multinational food processing and retailing company in a passing-off action against a local beverage manufacturing company in the Central Intellectual Property and International Trade Court.
- Advising Thailand‘s largest and one of Southeast Asia’s largest beverage companies in various trademark and design matters that arose in Thailand and overseas.
- Advising the medical school of a public and autonomous research university in Bangkok, Thailand on various areas of patent works, including patent searches, FTO reports, patent drafting, and filings, as well as IP commercialization.
- Advising a leading fashion company based in Luxembourg to terminate a licensing and distribution agreement with a local Thai company for a well-known fashion brand. Nuttaphol’s advice includes the collection of unpaid loyalties and the smooth transition during and after a sell-off period.
- Advising a leading petrochemical company in Thailand on filing and obtaining patent protection of various inventions in Thailand and worldwide.
- Advising and representing an American multinational pharmaceutical company on patent lawsuits against local companies for the infringement of a valid process patent. The case involves various disputes on technical issues, including the doctrine of equivalents under Thai Patent Act.
- Advising and representing a Thai commercial bank in the Central Intellectual Property and International Trade Court to overcome the rejection of the Thai Department of Intellectual Property regarding the client’s main trademark which includes a remarkable motto.
- Advising and representing a local startup company in securing the client’s patent on smart locker technology from a patent invalidation action filed by one of the client’s competitors in the Central Intellectual Property and International Trade Court.
Memberships / Directorships
- Extraordinary Member, Thai Bar Association
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member, Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- Member, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Member, Intellectual Property Association of Thailand (IPAT)