Sui Lin is a Partner in the Commercial Litigation practice of R&T Asia (Thailand) Limited. She graduated with a Bachelor of Laws from the University of London, and is solicitor on the Roll of Solicitors of England & Wales.
Sui Lin is fluent in spoken Thai.
Before joining R&T Asia (Thailand) Limited, Sui Lin was Of Counsel in the dispute resolution group of an international law firm in Thailand. Prior to that, she was a partner in a leading local law firm. She has more than 23 years’ of experience in advising on general commercial, insurance and employment matters and construction disputes in Thailand. Sui Lin's practice also includes representing clients in English language arbitration proceedings in Thailand.
Although Sui Lin holds no formal qualification under Thai law, she has an excellent technical understanding of Thai law, practice and procedure. She straddles the Thai/international business communities effectively as a result of her bilingual skills and her training in England (where she was previously articled and employed as a solicitor). Coupled with long-term Thai experience, she is particularly effective in acting as an interface between international clients, her Thai colleagues and the Thai dispute resolution process. She also possesses the unique ability to communicate Thai law advice in a way that is accessible and comprehensible by international clients (in particular by anticipating their concerns and expectations and structuring her advice accordingly).
Some of her notable cases & transactions are:
- Advising a leading Dutch insurer on rights against a group of former employees regarding the removal of confidential client and commercial information and use thereof for a new employer, and rights and causes of action against the new employer under Thai law.
- Advising Thai subsidiaries of MNCs on termination of employment of their senior executives, and in Thai labour court proceedings (notably, a leading animal health and vaccines business and a leading SEA animal feed producer).
- Advising an international leisure and travel group on Thai labour matters including wrongful dismissal claims in the Thai Labour Court (part of a broader commercial dispute involving international arbitration proceedings in Singapore arising from the client's purchase of a travel 'dot-com' business).
- Advising foreign banks in relation to recovery under loan facilities and other finance-related transactions in Thailand.
- Advising several leading global insurers on policy coverage matters under D&O Reimbursement Policies, Financial Institutions Professional Indemnity Policies and acting as monitoring counsel on behalf of such insurers in relation to claims brought against insured parties in the Thai courts.
- Advising a German insurer on liability of their insured under a construction contract, and under Thai law generally, and advising on coverage for third party loss under the policy.
- Advising a leading tobacco manufacturer on Thai regulatory matters involving tobacco products, specifically packaging, labeling and advertising restrictions and issues relating to disclosure of ingredients.
- Advising a leading international hotel management company on rights under a hotel management agreement and related management contracts in relation to a bankrupt resort development in Thailand.
- Representing a microtunnelling contractor in arbitration proceedings arising in relation to the Bangkok Wastewater Project – Stage 1.
- Advising an international lift and escalator manufacturer in Thai civil litigation proceedings against project owners under sale and installation of lift and escalator agreements.
- Representing a major Thai property developer in arbitration proceedings against a contractor for damages arising from termination of a construction contract.
- Representing a joint venture partner in arbitration proceedings following the termination of a shareholders' agreement for a lace making business.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Law Society of England & Wales
- Director, Singapore-Thai Chamber of Commerce
- Co-author, Arbitration in Asia - Thailand Chapter (2008)